June 22, 2010

Sweet and Sour Brisket

My sister, Patty gave me this cookbook for a wedding present. I wish I still had it cause I lost my sis to cervical cancer 17 yrs ago. Unfortunately it was one of many material things lost along the journey. I'm sure there were lots of great recipes in it but the only one I remember ever trying was the Sweet and Sour Brisket. It was one of David's favorites so I made it many times. Now years later as I'm trying to rack my brain and put together an online/electronic recipe file of our old favorites, I've searched online and found what I think is pretty close to that old recipe. This will be one of the very first recipes I make once we have an oven again. (Can't exactly make a brisket on a hotplate or a microwave... ;-)


Sweet and Sour Brisket

Ingredients:
1/2 c. water
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 c. ketchup
1/2 c. vinegar
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
Salt & pepper
3 to 4 lb. brisket

Saute brisket until brown. Add all ingredients and cook until tender, 350 degrees for 3 hours. You can click on the recipe book  to go to my allrecipes.com profile and find the recipe there to save, too. Oh if anyone happens to have this cookbook and can verify if this recipe is right that would just be wonderful! Guess one of these days I'll have to buy another copy...

3 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks delicious. I am always looking for new and easy recipes to try.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog today and giving me some encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tamara,
    I was just visiting to catch up on your blog and noticed that book cover. I'm not sure but I may still have a copy of that exact book. I just checked my bookshelf and it wasn't there so it is quite possible it is out in the garage for the garage sale I'm having in a few weeks. If you would like me to check or save it, send me an email reminder so I remember to check. There are a ton of books out there and I don't want to forget. acalenda [at} gmail [dot] com

    Thanks for sharing...I understand how special that books is to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I almost forgot, well actually I did forget, Thanks for the follow!!! You Picnic Post looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete